Source: Pamphlet from New Jersey Tercentenary Celebration, 1664-1964.

The History of Teaneck Library

October 1912 Mrs. Louise Jordan circulates her private library of 200 books from her home at 125 West Englewood Avenue.
1915 Neighbors and friends move enlarged collection to empty store at West Englewood and Palisade Avenue
June 22, 1922 Mrs. Jordan and her volunteers incorporate as the Teaneck Library Association.
May 30, 1923 Teaneck Library Association purchases old slave house and property at 1279 Teaneck Road for $2,000.
July 24, 1926 Slave house and property sold for $17,500.
March 8, 1927 The Free Public Library of Teaneck organized under municipal control.
May 21, 1927  Cornerstone laid for first library building as Charles A. Lindbergh completes famed flight to Paris
Marcy 4, 1929 Miss Agnes C. Norton becomes librarian
December 4, 1936 Dedication of first additions.  Built with P. W. A. funds
December 5, 1953 Reference and Junior Room Wings dedicated
March 30, 1961 Miss Norton retires as Library Director.
March 1962 Miss Olive A. Tamborelle appointed Library Director

Prepared by the library staff as part of The Teaneck Tercentenary Exhibit, 
September 30 to October 11, 1963.

Back to The Library History Home Page

Back to Township History Main Page