Discover Teaneck '83: "THEN AND NOW"
Published for The Teaneck Housing Center by The Teaneck News
May 18, 1983
A Special Welcome
By Mayor Bernard Brooks
This year, we are combining our fourth annual "Discover Teaneck" program, which encourages outsiders to visit our community, with Bergen County's Tri-centennial celebration.
Because the reading audience includes Teaneckers, as well as out-of-towners, I'll take the opportunity to send messages to both groups.
To our neighbors: the Township Council has asked me to express our gratitude for your continued support of the "Discover Teaneck" programs, which we regard as an opportunity for all of us to welcome visitors and display for them the special qualities that make Teaneck what it is: An extraordinary community of individuals with diverse interests and a variety of talents and skills, who are always ready to combine forces for the common good. We encourage you to be yourselves during this unprecedented week-long celebration combining "Discover Teaneck" and the county's Tri-centennial. By doing so, you'll show our visitors, who may soon become our neighbors, what Teaneck is all about.
To our visitors: We think Teaneck is unlike any other community in the nation. We have an astonishing ethnic diversity, and we live together in harmony because that is the path we have chosen. We have a lot to offer:
- An outstanding public school system.
- A non-partisan council-manager form of government we believe to be second to none in the delivery of efficient, economical services.
- A vibrant and active cultural life, employing the skills of many talented neighbors.
- A superb system of parks and playgrounds.
- A major university and an excellent hospital within our borders.
- A major redevelopment program in progress that will create "a city within a city" and, not incidentally, help to stabilize the property tax rate for years to come.
- A convenient and attractive retail center, supported by excellent free municipal parking facilities.
- The only "green belt" on Route 4.
Finally, a community in which you will have the opportunity to live life to the fullest, secure in the knowledge that your neighbors want you and welcome you. Thank you for coming to "Discover Teaneck." We're confident you'll like what you find.