Source: Exerpt from pamphlet issued by the captain Stephen T. Schoonmaker Post 1429, Veterans of Foreign Wars, no date (circa 1930).
Officers of Captain Stephen T. Schoonmaker Post 1429, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States (circa 1930).
A Brief History of Captain Stephen T. Schoonmaker Post 1429, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States
The Story of
Our First School, Sunday School,
and Town Hall
By William C. Fay
There are in Teaneck a great many people who have not visited the renovated building now known as the Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, to whom the structure means much.
For as church, schoolhouse, Sunday school, and Town Hall, the history of the Township of Teaneck is so closely woven into the affairs of the building that no story of the one could be told, without narrating the tale of the other.
Mrs. Elizabeth S. Sample in her, "Historical Sketch of Teaneck" says that:
"According to notes found in an early history of this section, a school district was formed in Teaneck in the spring of 1841, called Union District No. 10. A building was built at a cost of three hundred dollars, timber, sand, stone and labor furnished gratis by the inhabitants. On May 5th, 1851, a meeting was held and a resolution passed by the taxable inhabitants to conform to act of incorporation that Union School District No. 10, Upper Teaneck, shall be called Teaneck Institute.
"On the 21st of May, 1851, D. L. Van Saun commenced school at the Teaneck Institute, having been engaged by the trustees at $60 per quarter, and then he must find himself. In 1869 a -school building was built at a cost of $3,677.75 and was considered an 'elegant two story frame building.' This was located on Teaneck Road and Forest Avenue where Kobbe and Flanery's garage now stands."
This building is the present Veterans of Foreign Wars home.
"This served the school needs of this part of Teaneck for many years and also took care of the needs of the Sunday School, which, in after years, became first a Union Sunday School, and then the Teaneck Presbyterian Church. When a new school was built this old building was moved to the corner of Church Street and Teaneck Road, and was known as the Old Town Hall. In 1929, the Veterans of Foreign Wars bought the building, and renovated, it now stands on Bedford Avenue as their clubhouse."