|General||Library Services||Children/Young Adult||Township||Help the Library||Contact Us||Virtual Village|
Spiritual Comforts Take Root (cont'd)
There were a rock garden, pools and a fountain with colored lights. Bourgeois was such a fine architect that his design was selected for the beautiful Balia'i Temple in Wilmette, Illinois. William Beaumont, a neighbor, recalled that Bourgeois' mother was so proud of her son's model of that imposing structure that she displayed it in a bay window of' her home.
The Community church of Teaneck began with prayer meetings in tile homes of families living near the Bogota boundary line in 1919. Later they met in the Kenwood Place Fire House and started a Sunday School. A community house and chapel was built in 1921 at Elm Avenue and North Street. A new congregation was under the wing of Bogota Memorial Church.
William N. Smith was such a leading light that when the congregation decided to leave the mother church and strike out on its own it chose to be called the William N. Smith Community Church. It was organized under the classis of Bergen of the Reformed Church in America on January 26, 1922. The Reverend F. K. Shields was the first minister. Ground for the present structure was broken May 2, 1954.
Many Norwegians bought homes in Teaneck during the twenties. They continued to attend the Norwegian Evangelical Free Church in Hoboken. The Hoboken church purchased the chapel formerly used by the Lower Teaneck Sunday School Association in 1925. A mission was established in 1927 and in 1932 the Teaneck church was enlarged to accommodate both congregations. Services were conducted in English after immigration from Norway and Denmark came almost to a standstill.
St. Marks Episcopal Church was organized in 1925 as a mission of the Episcopal Diocese of Newark. It was the outgrowth of a Sunday School started by Mrs. Floyd Chadwick in her home on Cedar Lane, today the site of a supermarket. Later an adult class was formed. Mrs. Richard Copley, Mrs. J. G. Boutier and Mrs. Charles Riehler began raising funds for a chapel, aided by Mr. Copley. A 150-foot lot at Grange and Chadwick roads was purchased from the Phelps Estate. The building was dedicated with the Reverend William J. White officiating and Stanley Chadwick as acolyte. A modern house of worship was dedicated in 1958.
St. Paul's Lutheran Church began in 1925 when a missionary superintendent observed that many newcomers to Teaneck had no church affiliation. The church was organized January 3, 1926, at a meeting in the home of a parishioner, with thirty-five charter members. Services were held in a parsonage until a small church was erected on Church Street at Longfellow Avenue and dedicated October 7, 1928. The original church has been replaced by a large house of worship and a Christian Education building.
Grace Lutheran Church started as a mission in 193O. The Reverend Carl Bergen, pastor of Calvary Lutheran Church in Leonia, served both congregations. He hastened from services held in rooms at 405 Cedar Lane in Teaneck at 10 A.M. to conduct services in Leonia at 11 o'clock. This schedule proved too much for him and in 1934 the Reverend Theodore W. Beiderwieden, assistant pastor of a large congregation in St. Louis, came to Teaneck at a salary of $25 a month. He soon started a building fund. Property was purchased at Helen Street and Claremont Avenue in 1936. The basement was used as a sanctuary until the builging was completed in May, 1937. That building is now the home of Congregation Beth Am. Grace Lutheran Church now has a fine church and school on River Road.
Teaneck Public Library
840 Teaneck Road, Teaneck, NJ 07666
Tel.: (201) 837-4171, Fax: (201) 837-0410