Spiritual Comforts Take Root (cont'd)
John Sullivan, who took many of the pictures now treasured by old timers, kept the sacred vessels in his home at 15 Fairview Avenue. There was no water in the church, so he would take a pitcher of holy water over in the morning, hoping in winter time that it would not freeze before he got there, according to his daughter, Jane Sullivan. She recalled that Father Peter used to come from Englewood to teach children their catechism in a daisy field near their home.
The Teaneck Methodist Church was the outgrowth of the Lower Teaneck Sunday School Association, which first met in the little school on Fort Lee Road. Later meetings were held in the chapel on property at Teaneck Road and Fenimore Avenue, given in 1905 by Mrs. Rachel Moore DeGraw. The Sunday School began holding church services in 1911. It became a Methodist Church on May 2, 1915 with the Reverend Victor A. Wood as pastor. Trustees were Charles Riper, Elmer Mabie, B. K. Green, Fred Campbell, E. W. Proctor and William Potter. The Reverend Harold N. Herbert, who succeeded Mr. Wood in 1918, stayed only six months. He married Adeline Farrant, a parishioner, and went into military service. The Teaneck Road property was sold after the growing congregation acquired property on DeGraw Avenue and Hickory Street, where a large church now stands.
Christ Episcopal Church started at a meeting in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Fairchild N. Ferry in 1913. Their son Leland, who later became judge Ferry, was kept busy on Sunday mornings trundling hymnals, prayer books and a homemade prie-dieu to other homes where services were held. The group was organized as a mission of the Newark Diocese in 1914. Dr. Fleming James of St. Paul's in Englewood pedaled to Teaneck on his bike to conduct services in members' homes until a church was erected at Rutland Avenue and Rugby Road. This building became the temple of Congregation Beth Sholom when Christ Church moved to its present building at Essex Road and Warwick Avenue.
First religious services in Glenwood Park were held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Shulenberger. The group was organized as an Episcopal mission known as the Church of the Epiphany on January 6, 1921. The Shulenbergers turned over their home for a bazaar which brought in $265 for the building fund which resulted in the erection of a small structure near their home.
Roy Wilhelm started building the Teaneck Baha'i Temple in 1916. It is one of the most unusual houses of worship in this area. Louis Bourgeois, who had a stationery store in West Englewood, worked with Wilhelm in building the log cabin at 130 Evergreen Place. Great logs arrived from Canada and were hewn by hand. Stones from all over the world were used for huge fireplaces. Wilheln, who was in the coffee business, selected the stores during his travels and sent them to Teaneck.