Important Statistics Concerning 
The Teaneck Public School System

(up to 1976)

1822 Teaneck's first school organized
1869 School built next to the present Town House known as "The Little Red School House."
1895 Teaneck Township officially established; public school population numbers at 221.
1906 Original School #2 (Washington Irving), now the Town House, completed.
1910 School #1 (Longfellow) erected.
1912 School population numbered at 407 students
1916 School #3 (Emerson) erected.
1920 School #1 (Longfellow) rebuilt after being partially destroyed by fire.  Additional rooms added 1921.
1922 Public School population numbered at 1,154 students.
1923 School #4 (Whittier) erected.
1925 School #5 (Hawthorne) erected.
1926 School #6 (Bryant) erected; Whittier School auditorium added.
1928 Public School population numbered at 2,318.
1929 Senior high school erected.
1934 School #7 (Lowell) completed.
1936 Dedication of junior high school wing at the senior high school.
1937 Two side wings added to Whittier School
1941 Present School #2 (Washington Irving) completed.
1949 Construction of Bryant School addition.
1950 Back wing of Whittier School added.
1954 Teaneck High School goes on double session (until the construction of the Benjamin Franklin Junior High School).
1955 Construction of second addition at Bryant School and at high school; public school population numbered at 6,977.
1956 Renovation of Longfellow School; construction of School #8 (Eugene Field).
1957  Benjamin Franklin Junior High School erected.  (Students goon double session until completion of Thomas Jefferson Junior High School.)
1958 Thomas Jefferson Junior High School completed; public school population numbered at 7,861.
1960 Public School population numbered at 8,152.
1964 Establishment of the township's central sixth grade school at Bryant School.
1968 Establishment of the township's central kindergarten at Washington Irving School.
1970 Public School population numbered at 8,267.
1972 Establishment of the township's central kindergarten - first grade schools at Washington Irving and Bryant Schools; the dissolution of Teaneck's central sixth grade school.
1976 Public school population numbered at 6,839.

 

 

Back

Back to Teaneck Public Schools

Back to Township History Main Page