Schools in Teaneck (1)

Bergen Junior College:

Bergen Junior College had been established by Dr. Charles L. Littel, principal of Teaneck High School from 1931 to 1933. He had started the college in the Hackensack Y.M.C.A. in 1933. Three years later he purchased the sixteen-acre tract on River Road formerly owned by Peter Henderson, the seedsman. The homestead and barn became classroom buildings. The caretaker's house was the administration building. Art classes were held in the greenhouse and another structure became the chemistry building. Dr. Littel later acquired the Hart estate at Cedar Lane and River Road. This was the beginning of what today is the Teaneck Campus of Fairleigh Dickinson University.In 1947 a building that had served as a gymnasium at nearby Camp Shanks was moved to the Teaneck campus. It was converted into classrooms and a theater workshop with a seating capacity of 1200. The next year a library was added. The Federal Government provided twenty-six houses for married veterans. Dormitories and other facilities were added. Dr. Littel resigned in 1951, becoming president emeritus of the coed college, which then had 628 day and evening students. He was succeeded by Dr. Walter D. Head, former president of Montclair Academy.

From: The History of Teaneck   By Mildred Taylor   p.105

Bergen Junior College From the postcard:

South Hall, Girls' Dormitory, Bergen Junior College, Teaneck, New Jersey
Eagle Post Card View Co., New York

 

Bergen Junior College From the postcard:

Bergen Junior College on the Hackensack River, Teaneck, N. J.

 

Luther College:

Lutheran Collegiate Bible Institute From backside of the postcard:

Proposed Classroom - Chapel Building
Lutheran Collegiate Bible Institute

705 Pamander Walk
Teaneck, New Jersey 07666

 

Grade Lutheran School:

Grace Lutheran School From backside of the postcard:

Grace Lutheran School
2 blocks north of Route 4 on River Road, Teaneck, New Jersey
Drew Photographers, Fair Lawn, N.J.

Notes:  Used postcard.  Post date Sep. 10, 1963 with a 4 cents stamp.