All interviews were taped and documented.They are available through the Reference
Department of the Teaneck Public Library. The Library is not responsible for the accuracy
of the statements nor does it necessarily endorse the opinions expressed.

Joseph Riehle

(Interview taped 7/2/1975)

We came to Teaneck in 1926, moving from an apartment in the city.  They were going to have a railroad pass down our street.  If that had happened they would have started at my house.  Mr. Ayers came through and stood they expense of the overpass.  There was a blacktop road here that used to wash out, but the county eventually built the road and we got a good grade.

I worked at McGraw Hill. Commuting was wonderful.  You met all your friends on the train.  The only bad feature was the fog at the ferry. I was with McGraw Hill for 23 years then started my own studio for commercial art, my brother and I.  I took my transportation accounts with me.

The early years in Teaneck were pleasant.  There were five houses on the south side of West Englewood Avenue between here and Sussex Rd.  After the depression I could have bought on Sussex Road, for less than this cost.  Ayers had a fine home on Rutland or Warwick.  We heard of West Englewood through Frances Fairchild, Judge Ferry's niece.  Our neighbors were Dehroff, she was a secretary in town; Frank Wanderer, Fred Nugent and Walter Brawn.  His son Carl is now vice president of his business -- making school bleachers, room dividers, etc. Lowe lived next to Piper, Frank Weber across the street, who was in the piano business in New York. Charles Ries built his string of houses. He had a real estate office.  Poole was another neighbor.

Every one was against them building the fire dept., building at the foot of West Englewood Ave., but they did an excellent job.  It is not annoying.  I had a fire here in my kitchen.

There were no so many thieves as there seem to be today.  No one locked his doors.  Things were normal.  Our daughter had parties and we all had friends.  There was a time when you could travel on the railroad during certain hours at half rate.  Lots of women went to the city.  Now they have all these plazas.  We bought groceries from Klober, Abe Etten was the butcher.

My tax bill today is $1500.  I do my own cooking now that my wife Edith is gone.  Time hangs heavy.  I have a studio upstairs I paint.  I used to play golf at Phelps Manor.  I think they had 10 holes.

My daughter Dorothy went to Whittier School and Teaneck High.  Edith taught therapy at Medical Center and Bellvue.  Were were interested in the Episcopal Church when Rev. Russell was there.  We used to bowl at the Phelps Manor Bowling Alley before Feibel was there on Cedar Lane.  Brett was a bowler, so was Kieffer, an insurance man.

I was in the American Legion for 35 or 40 years but never went to a meeting.  Henry Deissler and Frank Hazzard were commanders.  I was in World War I.


Back to Oral History of Teaneck