All interviews were taped and documented.They are available through the Reference
Department of the Teaneck Public Library. The Library is not responsible for the accuracy
of the statements nor does it necessarily endorse the opinions expressed.

Mrs. George Leback (Eva)

(Interview taped 7/3/1975)

I'll be 93 in October. I'm going to tell it from the beginning. I was born Nov. 10, 1882 on Wythe Avenue in Brooklyn. My name was Buchridge. My grandfather James Alexander Buckridge received a silver trumpet from the city of New York. He was a volunteer Fireman. I lived a good bit of my life in the Bushwick section of  Brooklyn.

I married George Lebeck in 1900. We went to the Lutheran church because he was a Methodist and I was an Episcopalian. We showed no partiality. My parent didn't knew we were getting married. My mother thought I was going to a wedding reception and made me a new dress. I went to my bridesmaid's house.  Her mother lectured us on getting married without letting our parents know. We had time to spare after dinner until 5 p.m. so we went to the Central Park zoo, came back in time with the bridesmaid and best man and. went to a hotel near the ferry in Brooklyn and had a dinner. They didn't have any wedding cake, fruit cake it was in these days, so we had raisin cake. Then the four of us went to the Peyton Theater in New York, then back to Brooklyn and saw a show in a Jewish place. Then he took me home and he went to his home.

My mother invited a friend to Thanksgiving dinner. I told the friend I was married and she told my mother. My parent called George and I together and gave us a big lecture. I was 18 and he was 20. We went housekeeping on New Year's Eve. 

George decided later we should move to the country.  We came to Teaneck in 1913. Every one was so glad to see me. They had flags flying and bands playing at the station--it was July 4th. George get interested Teaneck and so did I.

We had two policemen--constables they were--Jess Witham and Bill Jahnes. we moved into this house.  we had a coal stove with holes in the ceiling to heat upstairs--no pipes. We had a bathtub and a toilet with a chain--no sink in the bathroom. We used a bowl and pitcher. I still wash clothes the old fashioned way. I used to make 80 glasses of apple jelly and put up 200 jars off our own ground.

George started the Red Devils over on Borden's Field. A family named Berden had some cows and used to walk them up Teaneck Road. Children used to sleigh down the hill and under the horses legs.  George used to referee games and he started the sack races and all on the Fourth of July.

He belonged to the Teaneck Club.  They had a dance every two weeks -- one you get dressed up for and on informal.  Mr. Hazelton put up a movie in School 2 -- 15 cents for a reserved seat.  he was a charter member of the Masonic Lodge in Teaneck.  I belonged to the Eastern Star -- Tuscan Chapter in Englewood.  I got my 50 year pin five years ago.  I later joined Teaneck Chapter and there was also the Monarch Chapter in Teaneck. I was a charter member of the Woman's Club, the first hospitality chairman.  When Mrs. Lippman was going to sell her house we met in her barn. It was very cold.  We used to go the day before the meeting to clean it up, hang curtains and build a fire.  The member donated refreshments. 

There were no stores. There was a butcher named Fried on Forest Avenue. For groceries, a man came from Englewood and took my order.  His name  was also Fried.  He'd bring the groceries next day.  Thursday a man came with fish.  Lewis who had a farm on East Cedar land sold milk.  I traded with him until he was there no more.

Viola was a baby when we came. We went to Dr. Sullivan in Englewood. Then to Dr. Louis Rusch.  Evelyn graduated from School 2 and Englewood High, so did Viola.  George was on the school board, so was Leland Ferry's father and Mr. Ranges.  I was block warden for Civil Defense during World War II. Before World War I Viola took first prize in a baby parade in West Englewood Park.

My oldest daughter was in high school when Viola had scarlet fever.  It was the last month before graduation, so she went to live with friend on Long Island for a month.  I made her graduation dress and finished it just in time.  Viola was 6 weeks in bed.  Lucy Manne used to come by after school and leave Viola's home work in the hedge.  Miss Marsh was the principal and School 2 when Viola and Lucy went there.  In their class was Bob Morrill, Nelson Ayers, Ed Ranges, Tommy Ingram.

When I first came Mrs. Drumhauser lived next door. She went to New York and came back after she married again.  On the other side was a Germany lady who wouldn't put out the American flag.  They found a bell the day before World War I ended.

Mrs. Lippman used to rent a house in Teaneck before they move here.  I get to know Mr. Lippman very well.  I had to carry viola and he'd often pick me up and give us a ride in his horse and buggy.  Our first choral group was formed in the Lippman home.  Mrs. Howard was the director.  The Woman's Club Choral sang over War.

We were active in organizing Christ Church.  We used to meet in people's home and Leland Ferry carted the books and told people where the services would be.  Fairchild Ferry was the first warden.  When the church was opened he appointed me to take care of the altar.  I was 10 years alone on the altar.  Then Mr. Hall, our clergyman, formed the Altar Guild -- our first minister came from Englewood on a bike.  His name was Genns.  Mr. Stridburg was our first regular minister.  He entered the War with the Red Cross, came back and served a while and then Mr. Hall came.  We walked to church, there were no cars.  The little church at Rutland Ave. and Rugby Rd, built in 1915.  There were so many people wanted a church nearby.  There was just the Presbyterian and St. Anastasia's.  I was a charter member of the Lady Foresters who met in St. Anastasia's.

We had an Englewood Hospital Auxiliary that met in people's homes.  Mrs. Ayers had a Red Cross meeting in her home in from Teaneck Road -- a beautiful home.  Nelson Ayers had a son who was born in his grandfather's mansion (Dr. Ayers).

The Teaneck Woman's Club Choral used to go the Millington, N. J. (East Orange) on Dec. 22 and sing carols for the Veterans there.  The Christ Church choir sang for the prisoners in Hackensack.

Teaneck Road was a dirt road with lots of trees.  Orchard Street was just a lane -- I wish it still was.

We had a traveling library at first.  They left books at Kubie's stationary store at the foot of West Englewood Ave.  The a group of women bought a slave house on Teaneck Road, we fixed it up for a little library.  Then we sold it and gave the money to the town with the understanding they would build a library.  The library women included Mrs. Greenlaw, Mrs. Jordan, Mrs. Caddy, Mrs. Franke, Mrs. Peinecke and myself.  There is a plaque in the music department in memory of the founder.

George sold war bonds during World War I.  That war broke up the Teaneck Club -- every one joined up.  Mr. Fibbish owned the house where the club met.  Mrs. Febbish was an actress before she married him.  We had a show at the high school (the woman's Club) .  Helen Jepson sang in costume.  When the club was 25 years old we had an affair at the White Beeches and she sang then. She was a member of the club.

I think I made all the coffee Christ Church and the Woman's club every served.  We had eggnog parties and they had me serving whisky sours.  I said I didn't know if I was promoted or demoted.  I used to go with Mrs. Hacker all over, visited the United Nations.

I have soon so much.  I had a sister who was an elocutionist.  The Woman's club used to sing carols around the Christmas tree on the municipal grounds which the Men's Club planted.  We used to go to police court on Friday nights -- George used to go.

We had volunteer firemen.  There was a big fire on Lincoln's birthday at Lauzon's at Teaneck Rd. and Bogert.  They used to work in a 5-car garage.  After their business in New York fell apart they came here.  Hilliard lived on Garden Street.  Joe married the niece of Jim Farley, Rudy built a house where Denny lives now.  Peineckes lived on Bogert St. He was a carpenter.  Clifford married a teacher.

When I was married Macy's was at 14th Street.  I made all of my oldest daughter's clothes till she got married.

I was crowned queen of the Teaneck Senior Citizen in 1969.  The day Eisenhower was inaugurated I entertained the choral group here.  They came at 10 and stayed till 5 to watch it on TV.


Back to Oral History of Teaneck