Source: Press Journal, November 13, 1975

Holy Name Ball to Mark 50th

The year's major social and fund-raising event for Holy Name Hospital will be its 50th anniversary Charity Ball Saturday evening, Nov. 22, at the Hilton Hotel in New York City.  Honorees will be Sister Evelyn, Administrator, and John J. Breslin Jr., Chairman of the Board.

A Capacity attendance of 900 guests is anticipated, according to Dr. William P. Magee, general chairman.

Sister Evelyn began her hospital career at Holy Name Hospital.  After studying hospital administration at St. Louis University, she returned to Holy Name Hospital as director of Medical Records.  She served on many committees of the New Jersey Council of Catholic Hospitals and in 1967 began intensive studies with hospital administrations in New York.  She earned a master of Hospital Administration and on Jan. 1, 1975, became Bergen County's first women hospital administrator.

Under her administration Holy name Hospital has led in eradicating of Rh factor at birth and has pioneered in total hip surgery; before others in New Jersey.  Holy Name Hospital provided hemodialysis treatment for kidney patients and a self-care center.  The hospital's Poison Control Center and Birth Defect Center have received national acclaim.

Sister Evelyn has served as President of the New Jersey Council of Catholic Hospitals, Chairmen of the Bergen-Passaic Council of Hospital Administrators; and as Secretary and Director of the Comprehensive Health Planning Council of North Jersey.

Breslin has been a member of the Hospital Board of Trustees for more than a quarter century.  A resident of Paramus, he was Bergen County Prosecutor from 1933 to 1944.  A leading Catholic layman, Breslin is President of the Board of Trustees of Felician College, Lodi, and has been honored by the national Conference of Christians and Jews; and in 1962 was named a Knight of St. Gregory by the late Pope John XXIII.  He is a founding director for the United Fund of Bergen County.

Holy Name Hospital was built when Teaneck was mainly farmland.  it was the brainchild of two Teaneck surgeon, who suggested the idea of the hospital to the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace.

First patient in 1925 was admitted for an appendectomy and the surgical branch of medicine always has played an important part in the Holy Name story.  last year more than half the patient admissions were for surgery.  There were 7,794 operations compared to 6,100 in 1970.

The present Chief of Surgery is the son of one of the two doctors who originally suggested the hospital idea to the Sisters.  he is Thomas C. McCormack, whose father, Dr. Frank c. McCormack, was Chief of Surgery and Chief of Staff.  Dr. Francis Gilroy is Chief of Medicine and Dr. William P. Magee is President of the Medical Staff, which includes 250 physicians.

During Holy name Hospital's half century, some 70,000 babies were born there.  Last Year, there were 1,289 births.  One Saturday in February Holy Name Hospital had twins and triplets born within half an hour of each other.  Holy name Hospital's Pediatrics Department has been a leader in developing and continuing unique techniques to promote more scientific care, greater safety and more happiness in the miracle of both.

Last years there were 14,905 admissions, the highest ever.  The 1969 figure was 12,606.  There were 26,847 visits to the Emergency Room; and the 1969 figure was 17,321.  There were 7.794 surgical cases last year compared to 6,840 six years ago.  last year there were 9,325 hemodialysis treatments at Holy Name Hospital; in 1969 there were 684.

Holy Name Hospital School of Nursing is the largest hospital school in the state with a present enrollment of more than 200.  More than 1,700 nurses have been graduated from Holy Name in the last 50 years.

Holy Name also trains Nurses Aides and Licensed Practical Nurses and offers hospital facilities for others studying for nursing and technical careers.

The Dietary Department is geared to provide more than 100 different forms of diet. Fifty percent of the meals of the meals are special diets prescribed in treatment of medical problems.

Sister Evelyn made this statement in connection with the observance:

"We must use every effort at our command to provide the most complete program of preventicaid, health education, modern care and treatment, and expanding service to all.  We do this with the same devoted, humanitarian approach that we have in the past and with the sophisticated and businesslike economy of the '70s.

 

Back to Holy Name Hospital home page

Back to Township History Main Page