Holy Name Hospital
Teaneck, New Jersey, 1925
The Holy Name Hospital, now in course of construction, is, day by day, becoming a reality and the time limit for completion estimated by Architect and Contractor will be May, 1925.
The erection of the present structure was the out growth of a motion on the part of physicians for greater hospital accommodation to meet the demands of the rapidly increasing population of Bergen County.
In our service t those whose care shall be intrusted to the Holy Name Hospital, we shall always appreciate the splendid work being accomplished by our neighboring institutions through which they also give honor and glory to the Holy Name of Christ our Lord.
Ladies of the different Townships in Bergen County have expressed their desire to be of service along any of the lines which may be suggested.
Hope is entertained that in the near future Auxiliaries will be formed either in the various parishes or as a single center, which will direct all these activities.
Like the hospital, the Auxiliary will be non-sectarian in character.
As the care of the sick poor, and those whose financial condition will make it impossible to pay the regular hospital rates, will always form a devoted part of the hospital's service, an appeal is here made to those whom Providence has blessed with a greater abundance of this world's goods, to be mindful of this special charity by establishing a fund, making an endowment or other financial gift.
It will be the purpose of the hospital to care for all medical, surgical and maternity cases irrespective of race or creed. Exception, however, is made of pulmonary tuberculosis, contagious diseases, insanity, drug addicts, incurables.
To begin the undertaking, a loan at a very low rate of interest was obtained, but now that the work of the building may be carried through, a further loan at a higher rate of interest is needed.
The object in presenting the above statement is for the benefit of friends and patrons who wish to help in this noble cause by substantially contributing to the initial operating cost of the new hospital and in lightening the burden of its indebtedness.
Furnishings of patients' rooms and other departments are important items.
for the information of societies, clubs or other organizations and individuals who wish to establish permanent mementos to which suitable bronze tablets will be attached to designate the donors, the following schedule may be helpful:
|43 private rooms, $400 each.||Nursery, $750; or $25 a crib.|
|8 semi-private rooms, $800 each||Emergency room, $500.|
|2 - 3 Bedrooms, $600 each.||4 utility rooms, $750 each.|
|3 operating rooms, $1000 each.||Waiting room, $750.|
|Anesthetic room, $600.||Office, $1000.|
|Recovery room, $400.||2 surgical dressing rooms, $500 each.|
|Sterilization room, $1000.||3 diet kitchens, $750.|
|Duty room, $750||4 solariums, $500 each.|
|Nurses' dining room $1500||2 airing balconies, $250 each.|
|Doctors' dining room, $750||Dispensary $750.|
|Chaplain's dining room, %500||Pharmacy, $1000.|
|Maternity service rooms, $1750.||Passenger elevator, $5000|
|X-ray suite, $4500||Laboratory, $1000|
|3 - 8 bed wards, $800; or $100 a bed.||Ambulance, $2500.|
|Children's ward, $700; or $50 a bed.|
A gift of $25,000 at one time shall entitle the donor and his successors to nominate a patient to a room free of charge in perpetuity.
A gift of $15,000 at one time shall entitle the donor during life to nominate a patient to a room free of charge.
A gift of $10,000 shall entitle the donor and his successors to nominate a patient to a free bed in a semi-private room.
A gift of $7,500 shall entitle the donor and his successors to nominate an adult patient to a free bed in perpetuity in a ward.
A gift of $5,000 shall entitle the donor and his successors to nominate a child to a free bed in the children's ward in perpetuity.
A gift of $5,000 shall entitle the donor during life to nominate an adult patient for a free bed.
A gift of $4,000 shall entitle the donor during life to nominate a child to a free bed in the children's ward.
A gift of $600 at one time entitles any person or society to endow a bed in the hospital and to designate a patient to occupy same for a period not exceeding twelve months following the date of such gift.
Patients entitled to the use of endowed rooms or beds shall be subject to the regulations governing the admission, treatment and discharge of patients.
Certificates of the right to nominate patients to occupy rooms or beds free of charge shall be issued in such form as the Board of Managers may prescribe and shall be signed by the President and the Treasurer who shall also affix the seal of the Corporation.
If on the death of the donor, no successor shall have been designated, the right of nomination shall then have lapsed.
The hospital is located on the Southwest corner of Cedar lane and Teaneck Road in the Township of Tenaeck, New Jersey; about five hundred feet west of Teaneck Road and the same distance south of Cedar Lane, in the center of a beautiful plot of rising ground measuring ten acres, formerly the homestead of the Phelps family of New Jersey.
One should visit the grounds to appreciate thoroughly this ideal situation; the charm of scenery in all directions adding attractiveness to the site. To day the premises present an uninviting appearance as a result of the work of construction, but it is intended as soon as possible to have the once velvety lawns, trees and shrubbery restored to their former beauty.
In design the building is three stories with a fourth floor over the central portion, a ground floor and basement; the entire length is 228 feet by 58 and 36 feet in width. The structural parts are of steel, concrete and hollow block; the exterior is faced with tapestry red brick and stone trimmings. The floors are litosilo and in several departments the walls are tile. Every modern sanitary convenience is provided; the water supply is taken from the main line of the Township. Both in the exterior and interior of the building the Architect has endeavored to present a pleasing appearance in his arrangement of details, creating a cheerful, homelike atmosphere, thus promoting with maximum efficiency the welfare of the patient and the convenience of physicians and nurse staff. The hospital has a capacity of one hundred and seventy beds.
Diagrams are prepared to show the number of private and semi-private rooms and wards on the different floors as well as the particular sections and units on these floors. The heating plant supplies steam sterilization on all floors. A refrigerating plant supplies a constant temperature in the ice boxes and other places throughout the building. There are three cold storage rooms, a hygienic ice making plant with storage compartment.
Besides the main kitchen on the ground floor, there is a separate diet kitchen where special foods are prepared and conveyed to the diet kitchens on each of the other floors by an electric dumb-waiter. The dish pantry is equipped with an electric dishwasher of the latest improved type.
On this floor also is a large dispensary and waiting room for out-patients; a room for filing patients' charts, histories and clinical records; a large modernly equipped laundry with a disinfecting plant; an incinerator for the disposal of refuse and garbage.
On the first floor is the chapel with a seating capacity of seventy, two wards, private and semi-private rooms, an x-ray suite, an emergency operating room connected directly with ambulance entrance, a separation room for newly admitted cases, a waiting room for visitors, general administration office, and a student nurses' lecture and study room.
the maternity section located on this floor comprises two special service rooms with sound proof walls and doors; a sterilizing room and scrub-up rooms for doctors and nurses. On this floor also a nursery and children's ward, the latter being located in a wing of the building, having an airing balcony for babies and children.
The general operating section is situated in the north wing of the third floor and is equipped with every necessary facility for patients, doctors and nurses.
This floor also contains twenty-six private rooms, with two three-bed semi-private rooms, also four airing balconies.
In the center of the building on the fourth floor are the nurses' quarters, these rooms are larger than the average private room and are amply supplied with every accommodation.
Solariums are provided on each floor where convalescent patients may enjoy sunlight and air as an aid to complete recovery in the minimum of time.
Fire escapes are accessible from all parts of the building.
Some of the special features of equipment are the Telephone system, by which inquiries about a patient and reports on his condition may come directly to and from each floor. There is also a telephone service in private rooms which may be used from the bedside; a silent electric call system throughout, an automatic electric passenger elevator reaching all floors, an electric vacuum cleaner, a dust chute, a clothes chute, all leading to the basement.
The preceding description gives a fair idea of the hospital building. In its construction and equipment the aim has been for economical administration, as well as to provide the best obtainable appliances for the one great consideration-the welfare of the patient. In our efforts to accomplish this, we have assumed an expenditure of over $350,000-which sum represents the cost of construction and constructive equipment exclusive of furnishing.
the training school for nurses will be established according to the rulings of the New Jersey Educational Department, the American Hospital Association, New Jersey State Board of Nursing and the New York State Department Regents. all the requirements of above Departments will be complied with, thereby permitting the hospital to become registered in these states and the graduates to receive the degree of R. N. Black forms for admission to the training school will be furnished to applicants.