J. T. Brown House, c. 1867-76

381 Fort Lee Road

The J. T. Brown house is a modest 1 1/2 story Victorian dwelling located on the site of Teaneck's first public school, which stands next door in a much altered condition. That building was a one-room, shake and shingle structure with a low belfry, constructed between 1810 and 1820 on land donated by the Westervelt family. It served pupils from nearby Leonia, Ridgefield Park and Little Ferry. Brown was the first schoolmaster to teach in the township.