James Vandelinda House 1805-20
566 Teaneck Road
Roelof Van der Linde and his wife
Susanna Brinkerhoff were listed among the thirty-three original members of the
Dutch Reformed Church in Hackensack in the seventeenth century. This house
stands on the edge of the large tract they purchased in 1696, and was probably
constructed by their great grandson James, also a prominent farmer. Adding to
his land in 1804, he left the two house sites on either side of the present Van
Buren Avenue to his sons in the 1820s. Roelof, his oldest, received or built the
house now standing at 566 Teaneck Road.
This unusual dwelling is more
oblong in plan than most of its contemporaries, and features a brick front wall
and three stone rear walls. The original section is a side-hall, three bay 1 1/2
story block measuring approximately 20' x 30'. To it were added both a
19thcentury dining/kitchen wing and twentieth century kitchen and family rooms.
The gable roof and dormers are modern as well. Walls are of evenly coursed
ashlar red sandstone and brick laid in running bond. The house is listed on the
State and National Registers of Historic Places.