Adam Vandelinda House, 1830

586 Teaneck Road

During the early 19th century, Adam Vandelinda and his brother Roelof owned similar houses on Opposite corners Of Van Buren Avenue on land purchased by their father James in 1804. The family was of Dutch heritage dating to the seventeenth century. Adams fine sandstone house dates by inscription to 1830. The builder had a blacksmith shop in Hackensack, and passed the house to his son John in 1854, who subsequently sold it to William Walter Phelps. The building is on the State and National Registers of Historic Places.

Early one and one half story Dutch houses dotted the Bergen County landscape for two centuries and helped to establish the regional characteristics of material culture in the area. This house retains many of the features that epitomize the type: solid stone construction, a distinctive gable roof with dramatic overhanging eaves, and a two part plan with attached kitchen wing. The latter may be of earlier date, perhaps 1780, judging by its construction and details. The handsome lines of the house are largely the result of twentieth century modernization - the prominent dormers and porches are not Dutch features. Nevertheless, a sensitive attitude to new additions and to the site as a whole lends an air of distinction to the ensemble. Visible from Teaneck Road, the building is one of Teaneck's most prominent historic landmarks and forms a splendid pair with the older Vandelinda homestead across the street.