Home of Teaneck Is One of Six
To Be Seen on Tour of Historic Houses
By Mildred Taylor
From: The Sunday Sun, January 17, 1960
Dr. Peter Beaugard as a little boy living on Johnson Avenue, Teaneck, was fascinated by the two Dutch Colonial houses at the intersection of Teaneck road and Van Buren Avenue. He resolved that when he grew up he would live in the one on the north west corner.
And that is where he lives today with his attractive wife and their three children. The Beaugards bought the charming house with its dormers, board overhanging eaves and spacious grounds in 1953. They have devoted practically every spare minute since to making it a home of today with the charm of long ago.
The Beaugard home will be one of six included on a Historical Houses Tour to be conducted by the Woman's Club of Teaneck on April 19. Other houses will be the William S. Davis Home on River Road, the Frederick C. Schuh home on Teaneck Road, The Kenneth R. Hampton home on Lone Pine Lane, the David Demarest house on the grounds of the Bergen County Historical Society and the Arthur Anders home at Teaneck Road and Van Buren Avenue, across from the Beaugards.
Build Circa 1825
The Beaugard home, which dates back at least to 1825, was built by a descendant of Roelef Van der Linda, an early Dutch settler. His name was recorded in 1686 as a member of the Lutheran Congregation which met in the home of Lawrence Andriessen before a church was built in the early 1700s in the vicinity of Andreas Park on River Road, Teaneck. The church fell into disuse during the Revolution and today only a marker indicates the spot.
Peter Vandelinda was one of a group of early settlers who ac title to about half the land on which Teaneck now stands. It was purchased from the Kiersted patent of 2,120 acres, given by Chief Oratam to Sarah Kierstad, wife of the surgeon general of New Amsterdam, in appreciation of her services as an interpreter.
Property of the Vandelinda family extended from English or Overpeck Creek to the Hackensack River. A descendant of the original settler built the two houses at Van Buren Avenue and Teaneck Road for his sons. John occupied the house to the north and James lived in the one now occupied by the Andersons.
John Vandelinda, who had a blacksmith shop in Hackensack, sold the property and during the Civil War Benjamin Parker purchased it from a lawyer named Johnson. it was inherited by Henry Parker who sold it to Frank Larkin in 1913 along with four acres of orchards that ran to the top of the hill. Mr. Larkin died in 1938, Leaving the homestead to his daughters, Mrs. Ernest Harrell and Miss Anne Larkin, Englewood school librarian. The Larkin sisters occupied two units of the spacious home, Mrs. Harrell and her family using the larger portion and Miss Larkin having a duplex apartment.
They sold it in 1951 to a Dr. and Mrs. Clarke who lived there less than two years before selling it to Dr. Beaugard and his starry eyed wife.
The Beaugards have been meticulous, making sure that everything they added, every change they made, had the mark of authenticity. They studies types of locks and windows, flooring and light fixtures. When they decided to add a bicycle house near the garage, they insisted that every stone be chipped to match the sandstone of the house.
The large living room is furnished with inviting chairs and beautiful antiques. Over the mantel is a painting of Mrs. Beaugard's great, great uncle and on the opposite wall is the portrait of his wife. The windows are hung with draperies of the Williamsburg period made with lambrequins trimmed with ball fringe. Among the fine antiques is a secretary with which Mrs. Beaugard fell in love at an antique show. She once fell in love with a William and Mary chair, but passed it up reluctantly when she saw the price, $13,000!
One of the most attractive rooms is the kitchen with its huge fireplace, old beams, Dutch door will bull's eye glass and its knotty pine cupboards. Pewter mugs gleam on the mantel. The kitchen opens onto a patio with an herb garden and a sundial.
The den is a room to delight the lover of antiques. On the walls are eight prints of Revolutionary fife and drum corps units, including the Jersey Blues. A dry sink has been converted to hold a television set. Old pickle jars have been converted to lamps.
The dining room and library are mellow with the atmosphere of the past and the comfort of the present. A simplified circular staircase leads to the second floor. There is a grandfather's clock and the stairway is lighted by a hanging lamp such as might have been used long ago.
The Beaugards, who have had their adventures is restoring the homestead, are now converting to gas heat. For many years, the house was heated by two furnaces in separate cellars.
Mrs. Beaugard will never forget the day they opened up the fireplace in the kitchen and the bricks came tumbling down. Masons found that the chimney had collapsed some time in the past, probably struck by lightning. There are now lightning rods, even on the tree nearby.
Back to Teaneck Historical House Tour Home Page
Back to Teaneck Virtual Village