PUBLIC WORKS / ENGINEERING:
The Department of Public Works started the year 2001 with 69 employees and had 70 employees by the end of the year. We also had approximately 25 summer temporaries employed to help with parks work, garden debris pick ups and other Department functions. The Department also made use of labor from the Sheriff Department, known as, "Labor Assistance Program", work fare persons, people performing community service hours, high school seniors doing Social Service projects in the Spring before graduation and Earth Day volunteers.
Major equipment purchased with 2001 funds included a 25 yard compactor truck and a landscape trailer. The following major projects were undertaken by outside contractors, consultants, and our own DPW forces:
1. The 2001 Road Resurfacing included 22 streets throughout the Township.
2. Safety pruning was performed on street trees in the North East section of the Township.
3. A contract was awarded for approximately 1,050 lineal feet of curb replacement on various streets.
4. Approximately 215 tons of patching material was placed in potholes throughout the Township.
5. There were 296 Shade Trees planted in the Spring of 2001 under a contract awarded in 2000. 125 Shade Trees were planted as part of the 2001 contract with additional planting planned for in 2002.
6. The reconstruction of the Ammann Park Tennis Courts was started in 2001.
7. The 2000 Community Development project funded the resurfacing of Bedford and Overlook Avenues.
8. The renovation of the 90 foot baseball field in Votee Park was completed in 2001.
9. The design for the 2001 Community Development funded project for the resurfacing of Tuxedo Square from Route 4 to Forest Avenue was completed. Construction is to be started in the early part of 2002.
10. The 2000 New Jersey Department of Transportation State Aid funded project, for the resurfacing of Palisade Avenue to the Bogota Municipal line, was completed in 2001.
11. The 2001 New Jersey Department of Transportation State Aid funded project for the resurfacing of Palisade Avenue from Cedar Lane to Grayson Place was bid in 2001 and construction will take place in 2002.
12. The design of vehicle exhaust removal systems for Fire Stations # 2,3 and 4 began in 2001. This project will be bid and constructed in 2002 including Fire Headquarters.
13. The Hackensack River Walkway path for Andreas Park was designed in 2001. Bids and construction take place in 2002. This project is being funded by the 1999 Recreational Trails Program.
14. The Tryon Park walking path was designed in 2001 and will be bid and constructed in 2002.
15. Drainage improvements were made to Phelps Park by the Township Public Works staff.
The Garage staff performed preventive maintenance and repairs on 41 Police vehicles, 1 Auxiliary Police vehicle, 21 vehicles and 9 pieces of auxiliary equipment for the Fire Department and 61 Public Works vehicles. In addition, they maintained 95 pieces of Public Works Auxiliary equipment, 4 standby generators, 1 Recreation Department van and 2 vans for the disabled/senior citizens.
The Department staff continued park maintenance, dead tree removals, garden debris pickup, leaf pickup, recycling pickup, pothole patching, public buildings maintenance, and the myriad of other tasks required to keep the physical features of the Township looking healthy and prosperous. The Department of Public Works always thanks the public for their help in reporting potholes and dead trees.
The following are totals of recycled materials for 2001:
|Mixed Paper||35189 tons|
|Corrugated Boxes||309.12 tons|
|Cummingled Glass, Aluminum Can, Tin Cans and Plastic Containers||420.47 tons|