On Sunday, June 3, 2018, the Friends Board of Directors and other friends of celebrated the life of Elizabeth Sher, who died last year. In honor of her many years of support of the Teaneck Library, we presented a gift to the Children’s Department. Additional gifts will follow thanks to the generosity of her friends and family who wished to honor her service through their donations to the Friends. Anyone interested in contributing to the Friends in Liz Sher’s honor may bring or mail their donation to the library, with check payable to the Friends of the Teaneck Public Library.
Business Partner Program
This year, there’s a new plus to Friendship! We're partnering with local merchants to provide extra benefits to Friends members (in addition to knowing you're supporting library programs and services). Friends can show their current membership card at participating shops to receive a discount on services or merchandise at these retailers: Angela Logan's Mortgage Apple Cakes; Carly'z Craze; Chopstix, Embroideries Unltd.; Garden State Jewelers; J&J Pharmacy; Pottery, Paint & Love; Rainbow Jewelry; Teaneck Cinemas; and The UPS Store. Additional businesses are always being added, so check the circulation desk, the library's website, or the Friends' Facebook page for updates.
If you haven't yet renewed, you can still do so ($15) to support the library and take advantage of local merchants' discounts.
Friends of the Teaneck Public Library
The Friends of the Teaneck Public Library has played a significant role in the development of the Library and its facilities and programs. We invite you to join us in continuing this work. You will be contributing your efforts to the growth of an outstanding institution, enjoy working with new friends from our diverse community who have the same goals, increase your knowledge of interesting subjects and enrich the lives of others from children to senior citizens.
The Friends Groups was formed in 1979 by people from every segment of the town. Friends have done a lot since then:
- Friends were influential in gaining support for the renovation and expansion which doubled the usable space in 1980. This also gained the re-use of the auditorium, which is available to the community and is the site of concerts, lectures, films and training, etc.
- Friends have acquired items including a concert piano, movie projectors, a projection video system for a movie-size screen, auditorium curtains and carpet for the auditorium and reference, furniture for the lounge area and children's room, the signage system, large-type books for the visually impaired, display fixtures, a business computer, just to name a few.
- Friends have sponsored programs of all kinds on a regular basis, such as film festivals, concerts, lectures.
Today, the Friends is an influential organization of more than 1300 members who are growing as they help the community. The Friends will continue their work:
- MAKING PEOPLE AWARE OF THE LIBRARY, its special resources, services and needs.
- SUPPORT THE LIBRARY in its contacts with the public and government. It is a voice for continued improvement and growth.
- SPONSORING PROGRAMS and assisting where needed in the library's programming.
- PROVIDING THE LIBRARY with services and materials it cannot include in its regular budget.
Friends of the Teaneck Public Library Board of Directors
- President: Sandi Silverberg
- 1st Vice President: Lynn Buckingham
- 2nd Vice President: Lisa Breen
- Treasurer: Mary Soltz
- Recording Secretary: Lynn Kloss
- Corresponding Secretary: Cheryl Baker
- Members-at-Large: Peter Cammarano, Jane Erwin, Ruth Foster, Olga Newey, Chris Thorn
- Book Sale: Lynn Kloss, Olga Newey
- Bugdet: Mary Soltz
- Events: Jane Erwin
- Library Board Liaison: Cheryl Baker
- Mailing: Lynn Kloss
- Newsletter: Lynn Buckingham
- Outreach: Olga Newey, Chris Thorn
- Publicity: Chris Thorn